Friday, August 29, 2008

It's hard to work I'm so excited but I promise I'm on lunch right now.

The hardest part of being a VISTA for me right now is abiding by the Hatch Act. I committed to this service year completely aware of the financial hardship that comes with it. I was totally willing to deal with the budget realities of the living allowance because I value service and love my community and country. I'm sure there are ways to say that with less fromage, but whatever.

It is freaking killing me to not be able to use this blog to externally process my thoughts about candidates. I am hyped about this election. Just totally stoked. It is a Thing in the Main. (Of course, it can be dangerous to get excited.)

SO! We've been digesting the announcement that Sara Palin is John McCain's running mate around bull pen here at work. My solution is to make some neutral questions out of the more interesting back-and-forth I've been overhearing. I like questions and lists. Don't you?



If Palin was chosen primarily because of her sex, does it mean she's being exploited by her party?

Or should we instead interpret the fact that a woman was judged as the most viable Vice Presidential candidate as progress?

Is it both? Is it possible that even if she was chosen for exploitative reasons, the net result will be positive for feminism?

If former Hilary Clinton supporters flock to McCain based on Palin, does that reflect the state of American feminism or the nastiness of the '08 Democratic primaries?

And I'm sure everyone's talking about this part of it (which is good), but what are the implications of her for the McCain campaign's characterizations of Obama as inexperienced?

Of course, Biden's extensive experience can reasonably be assumed as a factor in Obama's VP choice, so are McCain and Obama both in glass houses when it comes to experience attacks?




We've got more, but I need to sharpen my creativity before I give them a shot. This is fun.

No comments: